Spring 2015-16 Instrumental Auditions
Placement auditions for the spring semester will be held during the first week of classes. All auditions will take place in the Recital Hall except where noted.
Schedule (Revised December 22, 2015)
Placement auditions for Symphonic Band, Wind Symphony, and Symphony Orchestra will be held during the first week of classes. Note that some auditions will occur the weekend before classes begin. All auditions will take place in the Glidden Recital Hall except where noted. Jazz ensemble auditions are auditioned separately.
Audition schedule signups will be posted about two days before auditions begin, outside of Glidden Room 497. Results will be posted by Wednesday noon.
Winds and percussion: All students wishing to audition for Symphonic Band, Wind Symphony, or Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following excerpts. There is no audition required to participate in University Band (MUS 2512/5512).
Strings: Music majors auditioning for Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following excerpts. Nonmajors auditioning for Symphony Orchestra or Campus Orchestra may alternatively choose to perform a short selection of their choice, and/or scales. Students who wish to only be considered for Campus Orchestra may attend its first rehearsal, Tuesdays 7-9pm in Glidden 494.
Piano, Harp, and Keyboard: Assigned by department.
Sunday, January 10 (all in Room 101)
- 12-2pm Clarinet
- 2-4pm Trumpet
- 5-7pm Flute
- 7-8pm Horn
- 8-8.45pm Bassoon
- 8.45-9.30pm Oboe
Monday, January 11
- 2-4pm Violin and Viola (Room 494)
- 4-6pm Cello and Double Bass (Room 494)
- 5-6pm Euphonium
- 6-7pm Tuba
Tuesday, January 12
- 1.30-3pm Trombone
- 3.30-5pm Saxophone
- 7-10pm Percussion (in 600c)
Please complete the audition registration form prior to performing your audition.
Click your instrument to access PDF copies of the audition excerpts. Specific excerpts from the repertoire will be chosen at the audition, or otherwise notified below or by the applied faculty. Applied faculty may have additional works to prepare and/or sight-reading.
Transposed parts should be played in the correct keys unless otherwise instructed. Prepare first parts (upper divisi) unless otherwise indicated. Orchestra excerpts are from Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, which the orchestra will perform the first movement of this semester. Orchestral excerpt passages have been already marked. Wind Band excerpts are from Holst's Suite No. 1 in E-flat, Op. 28 - please prepare the full part.
- Oboe + Additional Brahms excerpt
- Trumpet (NB.: Tchaikovsky (orchestra) excerpts are optional for only those who wish to be considered for Symphony Orchestra)
- Tenor Trombone
- Bass Trombone
- Piano/Keyboard/Harp - By division assignment.
- Violin, plus 3 octave A minor scale (natural) and arpeggio, 4/bow, note = mm 80
- Viola, plus 3 octave D minor scale (natural) and arpeggio, 4/bow, note = mm 80
- Violoncello, plus 3 octave D minor scale (natural) and arpeggio, 4/bow, note = mm. 80
- Double Bass, plus 2 octave G minor scale (natural) and arpeggio, 2/bow, note = mm. 80