Fall 2016 Instrumental Auditions (REVISED AUGUST 1, 2016)
Placement auditions for the Fall semester will be held during the first week of classes. All auditions will take place in the Recital Hall except where noted.
Placement auditions for the Fall semester for Symphonic Band, Wind Symphony, and Symphony Orchestra will be held during the first week of classes. Note that some auditions will occur the weekend before classes begin. All auditions will take place in the Glidden Recital Hall except where noted. Marching 110 and jazz ensemble auditions are held separately.
Audition schedule signups will be posted about two days before auditions begin, outside of Glidden Room 497. Results will be posted by either Wednesday noon (for Symphonic Band/Wind Symphony) or Thursday noon (for Orchestra).
Winds and percussion: All students wishing to audition for Symphonic Band, Wind Symphony, or Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following excerpts. There is no audition required to participate in University Band (MUS 2512/5512). Click here for a message from Dr. Trachsel about the upcoming year.
Strings: Music majors auditioning for Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following excerpts. Nonmajors auditioning for Symphony Orchestra or Campus Orchestra may alternatively choose to perform a short selection of their choice, and/or scales. Students who wish to only be considered for Campus Orchestra may attend its first rehearsal, Tuesdays 7-9pm in Glidden 494.
Piano, Harp, and Keyboard: Assigned by department.
REMEMBER TO SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION OUTSIDE OF GLIDDEN 497 STARTING THE WEEKEND BEFORE SCHOOL!
Sunday, August 21, Recital Hall
• 1-3pm flute/piccolo
• 3-4pm bassoon
• 4-5pm oboe/English horn
• 7-9pm saxophones
Monday, August 22, Recital Hall
• 12-1pm French horn, Glidden 472
• 2-4pm clarinet
• 8-9pm tuba
• 9-10pm euphonium
Tuesday, August 23, Recital Hall
• 2-5pm violin and viola (callbacks for principal seats @4.30pm)
• 5-6pm double bass
• 6-7pm cello
Wednesday, August 24
• 1-3pm trombones, Glidden 494
• 3-5pm trumpets, Recital Hall
• 7-10pm percussion (in 6th floor studio)
Click your instrument to access PDF copies of the audition excerpts. Specific excerpts from the repertoire will be chosen at the audition, or otherwise notified by the applied faculty. Applied faculty may have additional works to prepare and/or sight-reading. Auxiliary instruments (i.e., Piccolo, English Horn, E-flat, Alto, and Bass Clarinets) will be auditioned at the same time as their principal correlates.
Transposed parts should be played in the correct keys unless otherwise instructed. Prepare first parts (upper divisi) unless otherwise indicated.
- Oboe (Revised 8.3.16 - added Bartok excerpt at end) / English Horn (optional)
- Clarinet / Alto Clarinet (optional)
- Bass Clarinet
- Trumpet -- NOTE: Stravinsky "Petrushka" excerpt will NOT be expected, but it is included only for your information (Symphony Orchestra will perform in Fall 2016).
- Tenor Trombone
- Bass Trombone
- Piano/Keyboard/Harp - By division assignment.
- Violin - callbacks may be asked to play a concerto/solo of their choice.
- Viola - callbacks may be asked to play a concerto/solo of their choice.
- Double Bass