HONOR ORCHESTRA BRIEF SCHEDULE
- Morning: Arrival in Athens and Check-in
- Afternoon: Rehearsals and Master Classes
- Evening: Rehearsals, Chamber Music Readings, and Showcase Recital
- Morning: Rehearsals and optional mini-lessons with faculty
- Afternoon: Master Classes and Rehearsals
- Evening: Rehearsals and Pizza/Dance Party
- Morning: Dress Rehearsal
- 1:30pm: Reception for Parents and Students
- 3pm: Concert
We are pleased to continue our partnership with the Ohio University Inn to provide housing for participants. This full-service hotel is used extensively by the university community, and graduate teaching associates from the School of Music will serve as chaperones. Transportation during the festival will be provided.
This year's repertoire will include some of the highlights that the OU Orchestra will perform at the Ohio Music Educators Association Conference in Cleveland, February 2017.
- Stravinsky, Tableau IV from Petrushka (1947 ed.)
- Tchaikovsky, Serenade for Strings (Mvts 1 and 4)
- Golijov, Last Round
- Work with Honor Choir: Mozart, Ave Verum Corpus and Dies Irae
Complete parts will be made available here at a later date.
HONOR ORCHESTRA APPLICATION INFORMATION
This year, the OU Honor Orchestra will be taking excerpt auditions for the first time. Honor Orchestra will be holding auditions throughout the region in November, and applicants are welcome to submit youtube electronic auditions.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2016
NEW AND IMPORTANT! All candidates will be encouraged to audition on the selected excerpts from the concert repertoire, although alternative non-excerpt auditions will also be accepted this year. The applicant may choose from any of the SUGGESTED excerpts marked in the music below, or from any other passage that best demonstrates the student's ability. The entire repertoire has been included to give students and their teachers the opportunity to select other audition material, if they wish.
AUDITION MATERIAL (prepare all top parts in divisi unless otherwise marked)
- Violin 1
- Violin 2 (not for audition)
- Bass (Petrushka part is here)
- Harp (Petrushka Part 4 only)
ALTERNATIVE: Applicants may audition on non-excerpted material of their own choice, although this is less preferable. Audition repertoire should ideally include TWO pieces or excerpts of contrasting styles, no longer than eight minutes, that demonstrates your best playing. For advice on repertoire choice, speak with your school or private music teacher.
Three ways to audition:
- By live audition (preferred).
- Electronic audition recordings will be accepted as an uploaded YouTube hyperlink. Be sure to choose the right privacy setting (shareable with those with a link). Applicants who wish to audition via YouTube should first record their auditions first before filling out the online application, as you will be asked for your hyperlink.
- Mail-in auditions should send a CD/DVD, along with a brief description of your name and repertoire performed, to:
Ohio University Honor Orchestra Festival
c/o Mr. Steven Huang
School of Music
Athens, OH 45701
Accepted students may pay by check mailed to the above address, or with credit card here. The fee of $120 covers all food, lodging, and tuition, except Sunday meals. There is no fee to audition.
QUESTIONS about the Honor Orchestra Festival can be directed to Steven Huang, Director of Orchestral Activities, 740 593 4240.
DETAILS for participants, including repertoire and part assignments, can be found here.